Volkswagen Model Names and Their Meanings
Volkswagen is German for “the people’s car” and it is just the first of many unique names associated with the brand. The entire VW lineup is full of unique models with equally unique names. While many VW models are named with wind in mind, all of the names are very fitting for each specific vehicle. Read on to find out about Volkswagen model names and their meanings.
- Beetle — The Beetle is actually the first vehicle Volkswagen ever produced. Originally named “The Volkswagen,” the Beetle eventually adopted it’s current name based on it’s classic design.
- Jetta — Volkswagen’s compact sedan and one of its most popular models is named Jetta, which is the German word for “jet stream.”
- Passat — VW’s midsized sedan is named Passat, which is German for “trade winds.”
- Golf — Volkswagen’s hatchback continues the wind motif with the name Golf, which is German for Gulf, a reference to the Gulf stream.
- EOS — The EOS, while not a reference to wind, is actually named after the Greek goddess EOS, the goddess of the dawn.
- CC — The Volkswagen CC is actually just an acronym for comfort coupe, which is a pretty good description of VW’s high-class sports car.
- Tiguan — The smaller of Volkswagen’s two SUVs is named Tiguan, which is a combination of the German words for Tiger and iguana.
- Touareg — VW’s larger luxury SUV is perfect to take anywhere, which is probably why it was named for the nomadic Tuareg people of North Africa.
As you can see, not only the Volkswagen brand but all of its models have names that are as unique as the vehicles themselves. To find out more about all of these Volkswagen models and what they have to offer, you can feel free to contact our Van Nuys Volkswagen dealership.
More from Volkswagen of Van Nuys
VW gifts for pets
What to get the pet on your Christmas list If there’s a pet on your Christmas ...read more
Trick-or-Treating Van Nuys
Best places to trick-or-treat near Van Nuys Read more: Halloween tips for drivers Trick-Art-Treat 2 to 5 p.m. ...read more